Friday 22 April 2016

Vegan Dinner for Meatless Monday | Recipe

Hey y'all! Today I want to share with you this DELICIOUS recipe that I concocted... that just so happens to be completely vegan! 

Before beginning on the main recipe, you'll need to make or buy some vegetable broth. I made mine by combining water, carrots, celery, leeks and a bay leaf in a big pot. Once it came to a boil, I reduced the heat down to a simmer and let it do it's thing for about an hour. By this time all the veggies in the broth were pretty mushy and so I scooped them out with a slotted spoon. I added salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, and rosemary to the broth and let it simmer another hour or so. I put it in the fridge and let it sit overnight.

To prepare the actual meal, I began by dicing a sweet onion and two vine ripened tomatoes. I placed the onion and tomatoes into a skillet over medium heat and covered it all with vegetable broth. I then covered it with a lid and let it simmer away for about 10 minutes. 

After 10 minutes, I seasoned the onions and tomatoes with basil, oregano, garlic, and red pepper flakes. I put the lid back on, reduced the heat to a low temperature setting and let it simmer whilst I cooked the rice. I used the vegetable broth for cooking the rice instead of water to infuse flavour into it. 

Once the rice was finished cooking, I spooned it onto a plate and topped it with the tomato/onion mixture. I served the dish with a garden salad. It was a huge hit- everyone loved it!
If you try this recipe do let me know! It's delicious! If you have any recipe suggestions for me to try- meatless or not- leave them in a comment!

Thanks for reading & check back again to see what KatieDidd, xo

No comments:

Post a Comment