Friday 22 January 2016

"Are You Gonna Eat That?" | Personal

I don't normally write posts like this on my blog, but I feel like this issue needs to be addressed and what better place to address it than an interactive blogging forum? I'm sorry if this isn't something you want/expect to read on this blog. My regular style blog posts will pick back up immediately after this one!

As someone who has been at both ends of the weight scale (no pun intended haha), I have learned that the way people treat you can be directly influenced by your weight. The comments that seem to grind my gears the most come from people who make comments about how much or little I eat.

When I was over-weight, if I had a big portion I would receive the comment, "oh my goodness that's a lot of food, are you really going to eat that?" On the opposite hand if my plate held only a small portion I would hear, "come on, you HAVE to eat more than that." Now that I've lost the weight people consider me to be 'small' or 'skinny'. I consider myself to be healthy, yet I still get comments about how much I eat! If I eat a lot of food I hear, "wow you really ate all of that?" or "where do you fit it all?" Alternately, for small portions I hear a lot of, "that's all you're going to eat?" and "no wonder you're so tiny."
I can't say enough just how annoying, shameful, and misguided these statements are. How much I eat depends on how hungry I am at the time. If that means I'm full after eating a salad that's cool. If that means I'm not full until I eat a salad, a hamburger, some fries, and dessert, that's cool too. It should never be anyone else's concern what or how much someone is eating. The only time it is ever okay is if you are genuinely concerned about a person you love who is consistently over eating or under eating and becoming unhealthy. If this is the case and you want to say something to them, any of the statements mentioned above are NOT helpful nor do they show your compassion. Try saying, "hey, I love you and if you're struggling with anything you can always come to me." 

I think it's so sad that no matter what you look like and no matter how hard you work on your body, there's always someone who makes those passive aggressive comments about how much you eat.

Please don't be that person.

Don't comment on how much other people eat. If other people comment on what you eat, ignore them and continue doing you. You know what's best for your body and you know how much or how little food you need at any given moment.
Have you experienced this sort of thing? What did they say and how did you handle it? Please do let me know in a comment!

Thanks for reading & check back to see what Katieedidd, xo

No comments:

Post a Comment