Monday 15 June 2015

Make Me Up Monday | June 15, 2015

Products I Regret Buying

Hair 

Tresemme Perfectly (un)done Waves: I'm not really one to use hair products at all, but I was sold on this from watching Ingrid Nilsen's- Miss Glamorazzi- videos (I think she could sell me a piece of dog poo to be honest, she is my queen!). When I used this I didn't find that my naturally straight hair was wavy at all. It made my hair feel very sticky and heavy. It was a really disappointing product for me.

Foundation/BB Cream/Skin

1. L'oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream - 820 Anti Redness: My skin tends to be quite red on my cheeks so I thought I'd give this I try. It comes out of the tube green and claims to "transform into a universal shade to reduce the look of redness". It sounds amazing, but unfortunately it couldn't transform into a shade light enough to match my porcelain skin; it was very orange. 
2. Neutrogena Naturals Acne Spot Treatment: If I'm being fair the main reason I didn't enjoy this product is because it's salicylic acid based which really dries out my skin. Beyond that I don't think it really did a good job at clearing any of my breakouts at all, it only dried out the spot for the time the cream was on it. As soon as the cream was washed off the spot seemed even worse than before!
3. Garnier Skin Renew Miracle BB Cream - Light/Medium: This product seems to be all oil. No matter how much I shake it, it seems that the product just doesn't mix at all. It also has a really strong perfume in it, which does smell really nice, but I really prefer not to have perfume in the products I use on my face.
4. Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation - 100 Ivory: I am the biggest fan of the Rimmel Wake Me Up concealer, so I really had high hopes for this foundation. It is perfumed (bummer), it doesn't come in a light enough shade for my skin (bummer), and on top of that I don't think it's the easiest foundation to blend out (annoying and a bummer!).
5. The Body Shop Extra Virgin Minerals - 102 Natural Ivory: As I usually do prefer a powder foundation over a liquid, and I do really love The Body Shop products, I assumed I would really love this. However, I found that the powder still felt thick. It's almost as if it wasn't milled finely enough and so it appears really cakey on my skin and clings to every dry patch I have.
6. Rimmel 9 in 1 Skin Perfecting BB Cream - Light: It seems as thought BB creams just aren't my thing. Even in the lightest shade, I found this BB cream to be too dark for me and far too orange.

Concealer/Blush

1. Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Treatment Concealer - Light: The first major issue I had with this product was the applicator, I really much prefer a doe foot applicator for concealer as opposed to this twist up/fluffy ball applicator this concealer has. In regards to the actual product I have to admit that the coverage is really good, but it's not as brightening as I would like for an under eye concealer.
2. Soap and Glory Trick and Treatment - Bright On: To start off, the smell of this is really not a nice one, but as it's an under eye concealer that's not a huge deal because you can't smell it anyways. The coverage is alright, not full coverage by any means, but still covers and brightens the under eye area. What I didn't like about this concealer is that it ended up creasing and caking after only a couple of hours.
3. Maybelline Dream Bouncy Blush - 30 Candy Coral: I really love the cream stick blushes from Clinique and I had heard good reviews about this line of cream blushes so I thought I'd try it out. Not only was this colour awful on me, I found the product really difficult to blend over liquid foundation and near impossible to blend over powder foundation. It's not creamy enough to be easily blendable, it's on the drier side of cream.

Lips/Mascara

1. Smashbox Full Exposure Mascara - Waterproof: I got a sample of this mascara in the regular formula (not waterproof) and loved it. When I went to repurchase there was only waterproof in stock and I was disappointed to discover that it was not as good as the regular formula. I found this mascara to be way too wet for application- it smudged with even the lightest blink. Once it dried I found that it was really heavy and didn't hold a curl well and even with makeup remover and a lot of effort, it was almost impossible to remove. It left stains under my eyes that no amount of effort could remove for almost 3 days.
2. Rimmel Apocalips - 501 Stellar: The pigmentation of these products is absolutely amazing, I must admit that but this colour is quite an awful one! My main issue was with the applicator. It is a hollow centered doe foot. The hollow centre is designed to hold more product which in theory is great, but these lip lacquers are so pigmented and wet and glossy, that it's not needed; the applicator just holds too much. It's such a messy process to apply. After the mess caused by the applicator, I discovered just how amazing the stay power is for this as I tried to clean it up a bit with a tissue and an Q-tip and it stained all around my mouth!
3. Annabelle Twistup Lipstick Crayon - Cherry: They weren't lying when they called this a crayon; it is ridiculously waxy. I didn't like the way this felt on my lips at all, and the colour was a really awful red for my fair skin.

Sorry if this seems ranty, but I know I really like products I regret buying posts as I think they're really honest and it helps me to know the down sides of a lot of products.

Thanks for reading, xo, Katelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment